Thursday, January 29, 2009

Assignment #6-Black History Month

Hello, this is my respond for assignment #6. As you know, February is a special month(besides my birthday), it's... Black History Month!I'm researching on Mifflin Gibbs.


Mifflin Gibbs had to work when he was eight years-old.
He joined the Philadelphia Library Company, and was involved with the Underground Railroad, but at last he found a successful profession.
Mifflin Gibbs was an important man in his society. "Conditions were deteriorating for the African American community in California. However Gibbs actively protested against the rising discrimination.
He helped to find and publish the Mirror of the Times (San Francisco), which advocated equal rights for all. In 1857 he and his partner, Peter Lester, refused to pay the poll tax since they were not allowed to vote," I got this quotation here.
In 1858, he decided to move to a British colony, because the "Blacks" had the reassurance of protection of British law. Later on, he moved to United States, and was well known as a first black politician.


as always, thanks for reading, and again DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT!Kidding....(but I'm pretty serious)

buh bye..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey

Im following your blog.check out mine!

Janet said...

Cool! I like your blog.
P.S. Did you change your template again?!?

Shauna Pollock said...

Hi Hanifa,

Thanks so much for the get well message. I really really appreciate it!

I'll be away tomorrow (Wednesday) and there is a new student in class. I'd really appreciate it if you could help him out. He's going to have to start a blog. He's just learning English, so even if he can just look on with you that would be wonderful. His name is David and I would appreciate it so much if you would help out.

Thanks a million and see you Thursday!

Yo Industries said...

hey
follow my blog

Gofran Hashim said...

Nice Hanifa


good work